About Swanthana: Swanthana, run by the Daughters of St. Camillus was established in September 2006. It houses 50 girls between the ages 8 months and 15 years, who are mentally challenged and have multiple disabilities. Click here for more details about our Provincialate.
“ABOUT SWANTHANA”, the name indicates as a symbol for:
- Holistic approach
- Assistance to the mentally and physically challenged of orphan female children in Bangalore city.
All about Swanthana: September 2006 was the day written in golden letters in the heart of all the Daughters of St. Camillus as it was a day when Sri. Chidanand, the Deputy Director of the department of Women and Child welfare invited us to see the Remand Home and take over the care of the children, because they were dying due to lack of nursing care, nutrition, and basic care at the Remand Home. These young petals were gathered by the local Police, from Railways, Bus stand, roadside, dust pin, behind the compound walls of the hotels and around the market areas, abandoned by the parents. It was a felt need to bring life to these victims and the Daughters of St. Camillus agreed to accept their care and thus SWANTHANA was formed with 34 tender buds transferred from C.W.C. Swanthana open its door to all the mentally challenged, physically handicapped and all the other disabilities of brain which made them incapable of self care. At present we are having 50 children in Swanthana.
DIFFERENT TYPES OF CHILDREN IN SWANTHANA
- Cerebral Palsy
- Down Syndrome
- Hemiplegia with mentally retardation
FACILITIES AVAILABLE IN SWANTHANA
- 50 Beds for MR children
- Swanthana welcomes everyone
- Confidential services are provided without distinction of castes, creed, and religion
- Nutritional care according to the needs of the children
- 24 hours nursing care
- Medical assistance
- Physiotherapy rehabilitation
- Entertainment – Play, games and music
- The children who are capable of understanding the concepts are sending to the special school.
- They find happiness in helping the other children in the self care activities like feeding and changing the dress.
- Out of the 50 children, few of our children attend the school near by.
- With the help of volunteers few other children are being educated using different methodologies to address to the special needs.
- We are providing the facilities of coloring, craft, dance and music.
- We welcome volunteers who can make a difference in educating the children.
EVENTS AND CELEBRATIONS
Celebrations make a person to be happy and relaxed.
- The Swanthana family comes together to celebrate various special occasions which are common to them like: Christmas, Deepawali, Independence Day, Republic Day, Birthdays, Home day etc. We have even recognized the importance of World Environment Day and even Super blood moon day
PHYSIOLOGICAL AND PHYSICAL SUPPORT
Hard work, plan and confidence is the way to success
- The staff members and volunteers work hard and their confidence helps in improving the capacity and talents of each child.
- Some of the children were treated by surgery by the Doctors of St. Johns medical College, which help them to stand and walk without support.
- Symptomatic treatments for minor deceases are done by the nursing staff of Swanthana.
- The Physiotherapy team from Kripanidhi College helps in utilizing their maximum residual capacities.
- At present, we need two Physiotherapists from Monday to Saturday.
Our Vision & Mission
When the world decides to abandon sick female children, they are cared for at this home.
- Vision: Let us offer quality care and protection to these children that are comprehensive and holistic with preferential option for the mentally retarded children.
- Mission: To facilitate a better quality of life, with dignity by caring, protecting, supporting, rehabilitating them specially the little ones, abandoned in our society.
In our centre we have the facility to accommodate 50 children. At present, we have 47 children suffering from different diseases like Cerebral palsy, Quadriplegia, Hydrocephalic, Microcephalis, Down syndrome and Hemiplegia with mentally retardation. These children are from railway station, road side and some of them were lying at remand home with full of infection and struggling to survive their life. They were isolated from families and society. We have received these children through CWC, Bangalore, and Karnataka.
We are providing them food, shelter, care, support, medical treatment, nutrition supplements, 24 hours’ medical assistance and physiotherapy rehabilitation. We are caring these children without looking caste, creed, religion etc. they all are children of God and they are happy and they have right to live with dignity of a human person. We find very difficult to provide food & accommodation and other services.